21 June 2008

Another Walk-Out Idea

This is a letter I received from "The World's Best Mechanical Engineer." I wanted to pull it out as a posting in-and-of itself, instead of a comment because it bears deeper merit.

***
Lou,

I just read your "Not Happening" Website.

I think your tactics are exactly backwards in that you're going to increase Shyamalan's ticket sales. Instead, you should be advocating that people buy tickets for other movies then go sit in the best seats of "The Happening" at the beginning. Then walk out at key moments in the so-called plot development.

--Scott
***

This is an interesting idea. I'm the first to admit that I don't know if, when you buy a ticket and then walk out, it's credited as a ticket sale to that film, or not. What I do know, is when I walked out of mine, I was asked to sign a receipt proving something to accountants (I'm guessing that it was proof that my Happening ticket had been exchanged for a Hulk ticket and no one was stuffing money in their pockets somewhere).

Scott's concept here is more passive than mine, but it does do a couple things...

One, it makes it easier on people who may feel queasy to go up and ask for a refund in the first place. You already have a ticket for the film you want to see (guaranteeing that Shyamalan won't get credit for your purchase).

And two, it shows other people in the theater that some people do get up and walk out. [My only real complaint here is this is displaying a minor amount of social terrorism toward the people that have gone to see the film -- you take seats that the could have had. I don't have a problem with anyone that wants to see the movie and actually likes it.]

But I'm not a Hillary Clinton. I recognize camaraderie in spirit when I see it...If you like this idea better than my original one, please do it.

Thanks, Scott and all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the comment on the blog I wrote about this horrible movie. I've thrown in a quick edit and directed people here. Hopefully I can help the cause.
~Nick

Lou Kije said...

Thanks, Nick. All help is always appreciated. Someone has to pay for this abortion, there's no reason it should be us.

Ryan McNeil said...

Hey Lou...

Got your comment on my blog (thanks for reading!). I like your idea, and your passion, even if I did like the movie more than you.

Couldn't really get on board with this particular protest, but you *did* inspire a tribute post on my little patch of cyberspace this morning.

Check it out when you have a sec!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to also add that watching this movie made me feel as though I was sitting through some kind of environmentalist agenda propoganda --- it was insulting and totally condescending.

Lou Kije said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I agree with you, 100%.

Shyamalan has a propensity to talk down to his audiences -- either in the way he directs, or in his commentary surrounding the movies.

He has a recent quote where he said, essentially, that if you don't think The Happening is great, you don't get it.

Well, Shyamalan, maybe this is the same as what people say about humor -- if no one laughs, maybe it's not a joke.

kwiksand said...

Good point, I appreciate your comment on my blog. Hilarious the negative following this movie is receiving already.. It'll probably go down as a cult classic for this exact reason!

Lou Kije said...

Shannon,

If only we could treat this film like the rabid dog it is...and make it go down for good reason.

Thanks for your ideological support,
LK